Culture&Arts

Borussia Dortmund suspend forward, Dembele 'until further notice'

Borussia Dortmund suspend forward, Dembele 'until further notice'

His unauthorised absence came after Barca had a bid rejected for the France worldwide, who has been earmarked by the Liga powerhouse to replace Neymar following the Brazil star's world-record EUR222million transfer to Paris Saint-Germain this month.

Dembele has reportedly refused all contact with the club since Barcelona made a bid reported to be worth 105 million euros ($124 million) including add-ons.

Speculation mounted that the France forward was Camp Nou-bound, after he missed training without permission on Thursday.

Borussia Dortmund have extended the suspension of talented forward Ousmane Dembele indefinitely after the 20-year-old France global skipped training last week amid speculation of a possible move to Barcelona.




Dortmund had expected to bring in substantial funds for striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang this summer but later took him off the market as they said they would not have time to identify a replacement.

"Our focus now is to have a concentrated preparation for the start of the Bundesliga (next week)", Dortmund sports director Michael Zorc said in a statement. Chelsea must spend, spend, spend!

"Ousmane Dembele has, of course, the opportunity to train individually, away from the squad".

Dembele scored six goals in 32 Bundesliga appearances last season, having moved to Signal Iduna Park from Rennes in July 2016. Earlier this week, chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said a fee of €100m for the player was "in every case, not enough" and the Bundesliga club's asking price is reported to lie closer to €135m. "We will see what happens", he told Sky.