Elderly man found dead in lift one month after being reported missing

Elderly man found dead in lift one month after being reported missing

Almost a month later, his decomposing body was found in an inoperable elevator at the Woodstream Village apartments in Denver after tenants complained to management about an terrible smell coming from a parking garage area that was under renovation, CNN affiliate KMGH reported.

Law enforcement investigators have now been able to confirm Isaak Komisarchik pressed the emergency help button in the elevator twice, according to a report by the Denver Post.

Isaak Komisarchik, 82, died while being stuck in an elevator for nearly an entire month.

Police checked the elevator emergency calls and found the button was pressed twice the morning after Komisarchik disappeared.

The parking garage served the Woodstream Village apartments in Denver and had been closed for renovations.

Komisarchik was last seen wearing pajamas at 2:30 p.m. on July 5 at a nearby nursing facility on the 9900 block of East Yale Avenue.

Komisarchik's disappearance prompted the distribution of missing persons posters a search of five ponds near the apartment complex by firefighters to try to find him.

"Something is not right", Pixley said.

The fire department did not receive any emergency calls from that particular elevator vehicle during the period of time Komisarchik was in it.

All elevator cars must have signalling devices including an emergency switch labelled "Alarm" adjacent to the car's operating panel and a phone or intercom labelled "Help" allowing two-way communication with security.

A request for comment to MEI was not immediately returned. Komisarchik may have not been able to continue his efforts to escape from the broken elevator due to dementia.

The investigation remains ongoing, authorities said.

Denver's elevator code requires elevator operators to monitor emergency notifications around the clock. Pixley said it's hard to determine a cause of death when a body is badly decomposed.

The calls went to MEI Total Elevator Solutions, which reported them to the apartment complex, Woodstream Village.

The cause of death has not yet been determined.

The body was recovered after people who lived nearby reported a "really bad smell" but said they didn't know where the odor came from or what it was.

When a Denver firefighter responded, the elevator doors were open.