Medical

Fidget spinner warning over choking and fire safety concerns in US

Fidget spinner warning over choking and fire safety concerns in US

A number of accidents caused by fidget spinners have been reported in the United States, leading a government agency to issue a warning urging people to be more careful with the trendy toy. But after some risky incidents involving the popular gizmos, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued new fidget spinner safety guidance for consumers and businesses. If their recommendations on the obsolescing toy seem uninspired, well, we've been here before. It also recommends not letting children under the age of three play with a fidget spinner.

"The fidget spinner was on fire on my counter", she said.
You can imagine the eyeroll that accompanied the writing of that sentence.

Most spinners are considered general use, according to the CPSC, which means they are not subject to many regulations, although those with electronic components must follow existing rules for battery-operated toys.

Fidget spinners spun into popularity this spring. Incidents of choking have been reported for children up to the age of 14.




"Like any battery-operated product, consumers should be present and pay attention to their devices while charging them", CPSC Acting Chairman Ann Marie Buerkle said in a statement.

In addition, parents are given the generic warning to keep the toy from young kids who may choke on the small components released in the event that the toy breaks.

While the meteoric rise of fidget spinners as a must-have toy has eased since they burst onto the scene a few months ago, they remain quite popular.

If the fidget spinner did not come with a cable, make sure to use one with the correct connections for charging. Don't stick random toys in your mouth, and be careful about batteries overheating when charging your gadgets. I'm not exaggerating: One of the CPSC's safety tips is to check that you have working smoke detectors if you have fidget spinners with batteries in your house.