Culture&Arts

Scott Baio: Child Actor Allegations a 'Media Witch Hunt'

Scott Baio: Child Actor Allegations a 'Media Witch Hunt'

Scott Baio has threatened to sue Nicole Eggert, Alexander Polinsky, Lisa Bloom and anyone else he claims has defamed him with false allegations of sexual abuse and harassment.

Polinsky's public appearance was preceded by a statement he gave to The Talk co-host Sarah Gilbert, who shared what he had to say about the "toxic environment" of the Charles in Charge set earlier in February.

Baio once pulled down Polinsky's trousers, he claims, in front of 100 cast and crew members on the "Charles in Charge" set.

Polinsky's accusations come in the wake of claims by another Charles in Charge star, actress Nicole Eggert, that Baio sexually abused her when she was a minor. "Scott Baio told me I was never going to be loved by a woman in my life because I was so effeminate".

Glicklich said Eggert's credibility has been undermined by her allegedly shifting accounts of what happened and when, and by comparing video of what she has said in the media recently about her encounters with Baio compared to what she said five years ago.

She and Polinsky filed a police report in Los Angeles, and authorities are investigating Baio for his reported sexual misconduct.

He also detailed an incident in which Baio called him a "f.t".

Scott Baio, back right, as Charles in the 1980s sitcom Charles in Charge. Nicole Eggert was the first.

"Charles in Charge" aired for five seasons.




Baio, an ardent Trump supporter who advocated "relentlessly attacking Hillary Clinton," denies the claims.

At the press conference Eggert apologised publicly to Polinsky for not speaking up on his behalf when both were teenagers working on the show. He said that observing his co-star behaving in such a way with Eggert, someone so close to his age, ultimately sent him into a depression and he believes the ensuing harassment from Baio was "mental torture" in retaliation to what he had seen. Both the actors claim that the abuse continued throughout the run of the show.

"One of the most painful memories of my childhood was when Scott and I were backstage waiting to enter the set for a scene", Polinsky told reporters, according to E!

Bloom confirmed today that police had now taken a statement from Polinsky. Eggert said an apology might be in order. I will not let this continue unchallenged and will use every ounce of strength and faith in god that I have to defeat the people behind this.

Baio was not present at a press conference at his lawyer's office due to his young daughter's illness.

"Scott told me of his sexual conquests with young girls and the co-stars of the show", Polinsky said.

Baio spokesman Brian Glicklich said the new claims would be addressed at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

"For reasons I don't understand, I am the target of false claims that threaten everything that is important in my life", the statement read.

Hours later, Baio's publicist and civil attorney held a news conference in Century City to refute the allegations and accuse Polinsky, Eggert and Bloom of orchestrating an unfounded media campaign aimed at damaging the actor's reputation for the sake of publicity. Bloom did advise Weinstein when allegations of sexual harassment first surfaced against the disgraced Hollywood mogul.