World

Prosecutors will seek death penalty in Florida school shooting

Prosecutors will seek death penalty in Florida school shooting

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old accused of killing 17 people in last month's shooting at a Parkland, Florida, high school.

Satz said he filed a "notice of intent to seek death" in the 17 first-degree murder counts stemming from the February 14 rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 14 students and three adults dead.

Cruz has another formal arraignment scheduled for Wednesday, during which he is expected to be arraigned on an additional 17 counts of first-degree murder.

In a statement last month, though, he said the attack at Stoneman Douglas High "certainly is the type of case the death penalty was designed for".

The action by prosecutors on Tuesday does not necessarily mean a plea deal will not be reached.

Finklestein's office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.




The filing follows after Mr Cruz's attorneys signalled that their client was willing to plead guilty to avoid the death penalty.

Cruz now "stands mute" before the charges, having withdrawn a written "not guilty" plea after being indicted by the grand jury.

"If we are not allowed to do so tomorrow, we will stand mute to the charges".

"We are not saying he is not guilty but we can't plead guilty while death is still on the table", Finkelstein wrote.

The family's attorney says that after surgeries, his intestinal area has been sealed off. Alex Arreaza says the student is breathing on his own after being taken off a ventilator.

Meanwhile, Florida voters may get a chance to decide whether or not they want to approve new gun control restrictions.