CBI detains Unnao MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar in Unnao rape case

CBI detains Unnao MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar in Unnao rape case

Kuldeep Singh Sengar who is the alleged accused in Unnao gang-rape case, has been sent to seven-day police custody on Saturday.

A notification was issued by the Personnel Ministry on Thursday night following a request for a CBI probe by the Uttar Pradesh government, an official said.

Later, UP CM Yogi Adityanath assured of strict action on criminals, no matter how influential they are.

With possibility of arrest of BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Senger, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) tonight submitted it's interim probe report to the Uttar Pradesh government.

After the high court's slamming, Prime Minister Narendra Modi intervened in the matter and ordered the CBI to take up the case and seriously investigate it. During this period, the CBI also collected various evidence with regards to the two cases for which it has filed three FIRs. The Unnao police earlier on Thursday registered the case against Sengar under various sections of the IPC and provisions of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act in the Makhi police station area. The third one relates to Sengar's brother Atul Singh, who claimed that he was attacked by the victim's father. When asked when Sengar would be arrested, Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar told reporters here that the CBI would take a decision on this.

Almost a year ago, on June 4, 2017, the victim - a minor at the time - visited the MLA's residence with a relative seeking a job, where she was allegedly raped by Sengar and others. Later it was handed over to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. CBI officials also took over records such as treatment prescription, ultrasound reports and details of the post-mortem which was conducted by a panel of doctors. Meanwhile, the CBI has spoken to the rape victim and some of the witnesses and family members besides visiting the crime scene. I believe the CBI would have arrested the MLA also. While no action was taken on her plea even then, her father was picked up by UP police, allegedly beaten up and tortured by MLA's brother, and died in police custody after making a dying declaration naming the MLA and his brother.