World

Toronto police to offer update on McArthur murder case

Toronto police to offer update on McArthur murder case

Police in Toronto have charged alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur with an eighth murder over the death of Sri Lankan man who had not been reported missing.

"There's enough information on the backgrounds of these people that people can draw their own conclusions on that", Idsinga said.

Unlike the other victims, there is no prior evidence linking Kanagaratnam to Toronto's Gay Village, Idsinga said.

A 66-year-old landscaper who was known in Toronto's Gay Village, Mr. McArthur was arrested in January, confirming years of community fears that a string of gay men who went missing in Toronto were victims of foul play.

McArthur has also been charged with the killings of Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Majeed Kayhan, Dean Lisowick, Soroush Mahmudi, Skandaraj Navaratnam and Abdulbasir Faizi.

Police had been concentrating on 22 potential identifications last week, but Kanagaratnam was not on the list, Idsinga said.

Police released a photograph of the man on March 5, saying they believed he may be one of McArthur's alleged victims. Idsinga said identification was confirmed with assistance of an global government agency.




A police source told CBC News that police had found Kanagaratnam's photo on McArthur's computer, but his identity was unknown at the time.

Police say McArthur targeted men he encountered through dating apps that cater to gay men, meeting them at bars in the "Gay Village" area of Toronto.

Kanagaratnam's remains were identified from within planters at a Leaside property in midtown Toronto where McArthur stored landscaping equipment. "But then again if we listen to these experts, we'd be looking for a brown-skinned 35-year-old male and that simply isn't the case, obviously".

Idsinga has previously said that investigators are examining 15 unsolved homicides that took place between 1975 and 1997.

McArthur is now charged with eight counts of first-degree murder. He is alleged to have killed them between 2010 and 2017.

Saunders apologized in February after seeming to suggest in a published interview that police might have cracked the cases earlier if members of the public had been more forthcoming with investigators. The alleged serial killer made an appearance in court today via video to hear the newest charge brought against him by police.