World

At least 43 killed, including children, in attack on Yemen market

At least 43 killed, including children, in attack on Yemen market

On August 2, attacks on a hospital and a fish market in the strategic rebel-held port city of Hodeida killed at least 55 civilians and wounded 170, according to the ICRC.

The airstrike hit a bus that was ferrying civilians, including many school children, the elders said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

"Scores killed, even more injured, most under the age of 10", Johannes Bruwer, head of delegation for the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen, said in a twitter post.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the USA was "concerned" by reports of an attack resulting in civilian deaths.

The Saudi-led coalition called the airstrike a "legitimate military operation", and a retaliation to a Houthi ballistic missile that targeted the kingdom's Jizan province on Wednesday night, according to Saudi Arabia's official news agency.

An official in Saada's medical office, who wished to remain anonymous, told Middle East Eye the air strikes killed 47 people with 77 more wounded, and that number was likely to rise.

Later, air strikes were reported in the rebel-held Yemeni capital, Sanaa.

Among the dead were children on a school bus that had been traveling through Dahyan Market, located in Yemen's Saada province, at the time of the attack.

‏He added: "Launching ballistic missiles at densely-populated civilian areas is a direct breach of the principles of worldwide humanitarian law".

He said the leaders and militants responsible for launching ballistic missiles and targeting civilians would be held accountable as part of the coalition's efforts to prevent terrorist elements from compromising regional and global security.




The Iran-backed Shiite militia has controlled Yemen's northwest, including Saada, since ousting the country's internationally recognized government from the capital, Sanaa, in 2014.

But on social media, critics noted that other coverage of the air strike in the U.S. and Britain-which also supports the coalition-failed to acknowledge the countries' involvement in the war.

"Save the Children condemns this horrific attack and is calling for a full, immediate and independent investigation into this and other recent attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure, including schools and hospitals", said the group in a statement.

The following year, a coalition of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia intervened in the conflict.

Wednesday's attack brings the tally to 165 rebel missiles launched since 2015, according to the coalition, which that year joined the Yemeni government's fight against Huthi rebels.

Yemen's war has left almost 10,000 people dead since 2015 and unleashed what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The first day of the campaign rounded up 500 weapons from tribal members in the area, said Col Al Buhar.

"It's hard to believe we live in a world where children should live in fear of such attacks, yet here we are", she added.

"The human cost of the war in Yemen is so high".