World

Australia to move Nauru asylum kids by year's end

Australia to move Nauru asylum kids by year's end

"Particularly [for] those children that are left, when they're seeing some other children being removed and brought to Australia, their level of hopelessness will increase", Dr Bauert said.

Some have languished on Nauru for as many as five years and doctors and refugee groups have expressed increasing concern about their health and well-being.

With more than 200 children already evacuated, 38 remain on the island.

Detailing the first public timetable for the removal of the children, George Brandis, Australia's High Commissioner to Britain, said Canberra will remove the children, though he did specify where they would be moved to. Anyone who attempts the journey is now sent to remote camps on Nauru and Papua New Guinea's Manu Island for processing.

"I haven't been showboating about it".

The Coalition Government since stopping the boats when it came to power in 2013 has been adamant that those asylum seekers who have come illegally to Australia by boat will never settle here, this is to ensure there is no incentive for the people smugglers to reopen their trade.

"Children have been transferred off Nauru, that's been happening for some time", Morrison told Sydney Radio 2GB.

"There are hardly any children on Nauru and in New Guinea, and we expect that by the end of this year there will be none", Mr Brandis told LBC radio.

Previous year a number of asylum seekers left Manus Island for the United States.

"Even when you bring them to Australia, if you leave families with a sense of uncertainty, it is going to be very hard for the children to recover", he added.




"The condition of the children has been pretty shocking", Favero said.

"That is, for five years bar the last fortnight, it required us going to court to force the government to bring kids that were suicidal, kids that were at risk of dying as young as six-months of age", he said.

Under a deal with former U.S. president Barack Obama, 439 people of a potential 1,250 have so far been resettled from Manus and Nauru to the United States.

New Zealand has offered to resettle 150 adult asylum seekers on Nauru but Morrison and Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton have said they would only accept the offer if those refugees are banned from ever entering Australia on any grounds.

In many cases, it has been the courts - not the government - that have been helping children out of detention.

A YouGov Gallaxy national poll taken from October 17 to 22 found that 79 percent of respondents wanted the government to take up New Zealand's offer to take 150 refugees.

She said two close friends moved to Australia a few months ago, and it has been good for them because they can finally go to school, make new friends, and go out at night.

"There are hardly any children in Nauru and [Papua] New Guinea and we expect that by the end of this year there will be none", Australia's high commissioner in London George Brandis told United Kingdom talkback radio station LBC today.

Forty-six kids have been born on Nauru under the offshore detention regime since 2012.