World

Imelda Marcos arrest warrant issued after failing to appear in court

Imelda Marcos arrest warrant issued after failing to appear in court

The former first lady of the Philippines, Imelda Marcos, has been sentenced by a Manila court to decades in prison for corruption, 32 years after she and her husband, Ferdinand Marcos, were forced from power in a popular uprising.

Despite her absence, Marcos was sentenced to a minimum of up to 11 years for each count, according to CNN affiliate CNN Philippines.

The case has been pending with the anti-graft court for 27 years. She is also perpetually disqualified from holding any public office.

This is all the information we have so far but watch this space as this story develops.

The Marcos matriarch in a statement Friday said her lawyer plans to appeal the court's decision. He added that she is still free to run as Ilocos Norte Governor in 2019, as long as she posts a cash bond before the Sandiganbayan while appealing the decision.




"He (Lazaro) is presently studying the decision and has advised us that he intends to file a motion for reconsideration", Marcos said.

Marcos, who is now a member of the House of Representatives, is running for a governor post in next year's general election.

He was accused of amassing more than $10 billion while in office and died in exile in 1989. Imelda's son Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr narrowly lost the vice-presidential election in 2016, a result he is now challenging, and many see him as the natural successor to President Duterte. He padlocked Congress, ordered the arrest of political rivals and left-wing activists and ruled by decree.

Duterte has acknowledged that Imee Marcos, the couple's daughter and a provincial governor, backed his presidential candidacy.