Culture&Arts

Kevin Hart steps down from hosting Oscars over controversial tweets

Kevin Hart steps down from hosting Oscars over controversial tweets

Kevin Hart has stepped down as the host of Oscars 2019.

"I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's (sic)", Hart wrote on Twitter. "I sincerely apologise to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past".

In one 2011 tweet, the comedian and movie star wrote, "Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice 'stop that's gay.'" In another from 2010, Hart says someone's profile pic looks "like a gay bill board for AIDS".

In an Instagram video posted Thursday, Hart responded to the criticism - although he didn't exactly apologize.

It'd be one thing if this was a one-time tweet (Still bad, but not as bad), or if he apologized, or if he didn't call out people who were alarmed by him repeatedly using the word "gay" or "fag" in a derogatory manner.

It was confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that Hart would be hosting the 91st Academy Awards in February, but by Wednesday, a series of homophobic tweets from earlier this decade surfaced.

"The reason why I've passed is that I've addressed it several times", he said on Instagram. Hart has since spoken about the joke, telling Rolling Stone in 2015 that it was really about his "own insecurities" as a parent, again reiterating he's not homophobic and saying he "wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now".




"Stop looking for reasons to be negative..."

Hart's attitudes about homosexuality were also a well-known part of his stand-up act. In an interview past year, he told Parade, "I had one gay joke in my career and it was about my son at a birthday party, and it was before things got as P.C.as they are now".

GLAAD, the advocacy group for LGBTQ rights, said Thursday that it has reached out to Oscars broadcaster ABC, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences and Hart's management to 'discuss Kevin's anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and record'. A simple, authentic apology showing any bit of understanding or remorse would have been so simple, " Eichner said. I'm thinking about what I did as a dad, did I do something wrong, and if I did, what was it?

Neither Hart's reps nor the Academy immediately responded to Fox News' request for comment.

It's not the first time the Oscars have come under fire over its show entertainment, with Brett Ratner resigning from his role as the ceremony's producer in 2011.

It remains to be seen who will replace Hart as the host for the event, as reports earlier this week indicated that the producers were having a hard time finding willing participants for the role.